Email Hosting by Google Apps
Please note that we do not handle the technical support side of things for Google Apps. If you decide to switch over to have your email hosted through Google, you will need to contact Google for any technical support questions or help with using their product.
Google Apps Email Setup
- The first thing you need to do to start using Google Apps is sign up for it here http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html. There is a premium service (that includes 24/7 Google Tech support and which costs money), and a standard service which is free. You can choose which one better suits your needs and sign up for it there.
- Verify your account - After you have completed registration, at some point you must verify that you own the domain name. There are 3 methods of doing this, choose the 3rd one "Add a meta tag to your site's home page". You will be provided a Meta Tag that looks like this:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="Ztz_iwlwRZUu4F2Qjv3pOUJRbUZZusy8PmleQysc" />
To add the meta tag to your website, please do the following:
- Log into your back office and navigate to the Website Manager -> "Look and Feel" section.
- Paste the Meta Tag provided by Google in the Header Script text box. If there is already text in that box, be sure to paste it at the very beginning or very end in order to not break anything. If you are unsure please contact support with the meta tag included.
- Back in Google Apps, you can now click the Verify button to proceed.
- At the Google Apps Dashboard, you may now proceed with setting up your email accounts. Read the instructions carefully. If your domain already has email addresses, in order to avoid email downtime you should create user accounts for each them before proceeding to the next step.
- Adjusting the MX Records. After the above steps are all completed at some point you will be asked to adjust your MX Records. This is when the actual switch from RealPageMaker hosting your email to Google hosting it occurs. When you are ready for this step, please do the following:
- Log into your back office and navigate to the Account Manager -> "Domains" section.
- In the My Domain Name(s) area, locate your domain name and change the mail provider (from rpm) to "google", and click Update.
- You've just adjusted the MX Records which was the final step. It usually takes up to 2 hours max after the MX Records are switched to take affect. You should wait a full 2 hours before testing out your email.
Important: If you had email hosted through RealPageMaker prior to switching to Google Apps, you must now delete your existing email accounts from your RPM back office in order for all email to be routed properly.
1. Be sure that your Google Apps email is working (all steps above were completed and you can send/receive mail through Google now).
2. Make sure there is no important messages left in your RealPageMaker webmail inbox.
3. Proceed with deleting your RealPageMaker email accounts. The instructions for that are found here.
Accessing Google Apps Webmail
Go back to the Google Apps Dashboard and click the Email link.
Next to Web address you see a sign-in address (URL) which is similar to http://mail.google.com/a/yourdomain.com .
The login is the email name WITHOUT @yourdomain.com and the temporary password given by Google. You can find the temporary password by going to the "Users and Groups" tab at the top. Click the email account in question, and the password will be revealed.
Here is a guide to help you through your first few days using Google Apps: Your First Days